LASIK

Chances are, several of your friends or family members are experiencing the joys of living without glasses and contact lenses as a result of laser vision correction.  You've heard the excitement in their voices, noticed the boost in their confidence levels, and watched the quality of their lives improve with new-found freedoms.

You can also enjoy this freedom from corrective lenses.  Call our office to schedule a consultation appointment.

The laser vision correction process begins with a consultation appointment.  At this time, our LASIK Coordinator will perform some basic tests, go over your medical history, and educate you on the types of procedures available, costs, financing, and technology used. Once it's confirmed that you are a good candidate for laser vision correction, the pre-operative exam and procedure can be scheduled.

A pre-operative examination is lengthy and consists of a non-dilated exam and a dilated exam with Dr. Bogart.  During the pre-operative exam, Dr. Bogart will assess your overall health and our LASIK Coordinator will measure & create a detailed and unique map of your eye using the WaveScan

On the day of the procedure, you will take a mild sedative to help you relax during the procedure.  Anesthetic drops will be placed into your eyes.  Your unique correction information is transferred from the WaveScan to the VISX laser.  Laser vision correction works by gently reshaping the cornea with the cool beam from the laser to remove microscopic amounts of tissue- less than the thickness of a human hair in most cases- to create a new curvature.  The procedure usually takes seconds to complete and the majority of patients feel only mild discomfort.  Many patients notice immediate results after CustomVue and their vision continues to improve as their eyes heal.  Post-operative visits and routine exams complete the process.

Treatments are available for a variety of patients including those who are nearsighted, farsighted, and who have astigmatism.  There are also LASIK alternatives such as PRK, Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE)  and Multifocal Lens Implants, that may be better suited for some individuals.

VISX STAR lasers have been used to perform millions of laser vision correction procedures in the U.S. and around the world.  If you're 21 years of age or older, are diagnosed as nearsighted with or without astigmatism, farsighted with or without astigmatism, or have mixed astigmatism, you may be a candidate for the CustomVue procedure. 

"After 37 years of wearing glasses, the freedom of LASIK has been liberating.  Recently we visited the Florida Keys and for the first time I was able to identify sharks and barracuda without bumping into them." 
- Tom A.

"No more contacts!  From pre-op to post-op and subsequent follow-ups, everyone from the front desk to the clinical staff acted professionally.  All of my questions were answered and everyone made my visits as comfortable as possible.  I was referred by a friend of mine and I wouldn't hesitate to do the same." 
-Leah A.


"I spent over 5 years trying to 'talk myself into it,' and I finally had LASIK!  I was so afraid to have this procedure.  Jennifer and Dr. Bogart made me feel comfortable and at ease.  I spoke to several of my friends who had had LASIK and I even chatted with a few patients in the waiting room during my pre-op exam.  No one had had a bad experience!  On the day of my surgery, the entire staff was reassuring and caring.  I remember the people in the surgical suite cheering me on for the prize of better eyesight!  I have to say that Carolina Eye Center has customer service down!  Now, 3 months later, I still get all of my questions answered and am so happy I decided to have this procedure with Dr. Bogart and the wonderful staff of CEC."

-Brian K. 

Comments